- Spelling Test 13 is Monday.
- Progress Report slips are coming home Friday. Please check the appropriate box, sign, and return Monday.
- HS Chorale will be visiting Hutchings Monday.
- Unit 5 Math Test is Wednesday, December 21. Review sheets will go home on Monday.
- Holiday Parties are Wednesday, December 21. Individual teachers will provide info. We are watching The Polar Express that afternoon.
- There is NO SCHOOL December 22-January 2. School resumes on January 3. Enjoy the Holiday Break! :)
13 December 2011
22 November 2011
- The Diversity Feast was great! Thanks to all the parents who helped make it a success!
- There is NO SCHOOL Wednesday, November 23 - Monday, November 28. School resumes Tuesday, November 29. Enjoy the break!
- Math Unit 4 Test is Thursday, December 1. Review Sheets will come home on Tuesday, November 29.
- No Spelling Test next week.
18 November 2011
Spelling Test 10 is Monday!
NO SCHOOL Wednesday, November 23 - Monday, November 28th. School will resume on Tuesday, November 29.
Great seeing everyone at conferences! :)
11 November 2011
28 October 2011
- Gourfest is Monday. We're still in need of gourds, crafty supplies, and tacky glue. Thanks!
- Halloween Parade is at 2pm. We are going to be parading through the gym and out by the busses. Parties are following in each classroom.
- Book Fair is next week. We will all be browsing on Tuesday. Burch/Highum will shop Wednesday. Bradner/Palo will shop Thursday.
- Spelling Test 7 is Tuesday. Make sure to study Words to Learn and Spelling Notes.
- October Reading Logs are due Tuesday.
- Picture Retakes are Thursday, November 3.
- Math Unit 3 test is Friday, November 4. Review Sheets will come home Wednesday and will be corrected in class Thursday.
- The end of the quarter is Friday. Report Cards will come home the following week.
- Conferences are November 10th and 16th. Reminders will be coming home next week.
- Diversity Projects are coming home today. This is an at-home project and is due on Friday, November 18th.
20 October 2011
- Monday is Spelling Test 6. Make sure to review Word Preview and Words to Learn!
- MEAP make-ups will continue through next week. Thank you PTO for the wonderful snacks!
- The Hurricane Hustle is on the 26th at 2:00pm. Continue to send in donations until the event!
- Fire Safety Assembly is on Friday the 28th.
- Gourdfest is the morning of October 31. Students will be participating in a math & science activity with gourds. We are in need of gourd donations, cafty supplies to decorate gourds, and tacky glue.
- The school-wide Halloween parade will be at 2pm, with classroom parties following the parade.
- The end of the quarter is November 4th.
14 October 2011
- MEAP testing continues Tuesday (Math) and Wednesday (Writing Part 2).
- Spelling Test 5 is Monday, October 17th. Make sure your students study their Spelling Notes and Words to Learn!
- Keep sending Hurricane Hustle envelopes every Friday. The Hurricane Hustle is Wednesday, October 26.
- There is a Cyber Safety Assembly on Wednesday, October 26, from 2:30-3:15pm.
- On Friday, October 28, there will be a Fire Assembly at 1:30pm.
- On Thursday, December 8, the fourth grade classes are going to see the play Willy Wonka Jr. and the Community Theater. We will be paying for this trip from the PTO donation to our grade level. (Thank you, PTO!) Permission slips will come home soon. We will be eating lunch at school as usual.
07 October 2011
- PowerSchool labels have been placed in your child's planner. There is also a note coming home regarding PowerSchool.
- You may turn in your Hurricane Hustle money every Friday. The Hurricane Hustle is Wednesday, October 26. (corrected date!)
- Spelling Test 4 is Monday. Please remind your student to review their spelling notes, Words to Learn, and Word Preview words. Be sure to use the new spelling website for practice! See Important Links on the 4th grade blog for the link! (http://hutchings4th.blogspot.com)
- The MEAP begins Tuesday. We will be MEAPing October 11, 12, 13, 18, and 19. Please make sure your children have a good night's sleep and eat a good breakfast! We are MEAPing in both the morning and afternoon, so please refrain from scheduling appointments during the dates listed. Thank you!
- Math Unit 2 Test is Friday, October 14. Review sheets will come home Wednesday.
30 September 2011
- Spelling Test 3 is Monday. Please make sure your child reviews his/her spelling notes, Words to Learn, and Word Preview words!
- We are sending home Reading Calendars for the month of October. Students need to read 400 minutes throughout the month and record their reading on the calendar. (This is at home reading.) The calendar needs to be turned in on November 1 and will be recorded as a Language Arts grade.
- We have a Bus Safety assembly on Tuesday from 9:30-10:30am. We also have a Basketball Jones assembly that afternoon at 2:30pm.
- Lots of important information is coming home from the office today including Hurricane Hustle details, MEAP information, and PTO news.
- MEAP begins the week of October 10 and continues through October 19. Please try to refrain from making doctor appointments during this time. Thank you!
21 September 2011
- Students received their study guides for math today. Please make sure your child has his/her study guide AT SCHOOL tomorrow so we can correct it and review for the test. Unit One math test is Friday!!!
- Spelling Tests are every Monday! Your child should be reviewing their spelling notes, Core Words, and Words to Learn to prepare for the test.
- Picture Day is Thursday, September 29. The order forms were sent in the Hutchings packet the first week of school. Contact the office if you need an extra form.
- Hutchings School Store is the first Friday of every month.
- The Hurricane Hustle is Wednesday, October 26. Info will be coming home from PTO regarding the Hustle.
- Just to help you try to prepare for field trips this year, we are tentatively planning on taking the kids to a play at the Community Theatre in December and a visit to Cranbrook in the spring. We will use all of our PTO allotted monies to help offset the cost of the Cranbrook trip. We anticipate these two trips totalling less than $30.
16 September 2011
- Packets are coming home from the office with your oldest child every Friday. Please make sure to read through the information carefully.
- Spelling Test 1 is Monday, September 19. Make sure to review your spelling notes and your preview words!
- Math Unit Test is Friday, September 23. Review sheets will come home two days before the test.
- Green Club flyers went home today. Please make sure they are returned no later than Friday, September 23. Late forms will not be accepted due to high interest. Thanks!
- We have talked to our classes about student council. Elections will be held next week. If your child is interested, their teacher will be giving information in their class.
- School pictures are Thursday, September 29th. Wear your smile! :)
- Please check out our new and improved 4th Grade Blog! There are several helpful links, upcoming dates, and information on our site! (http://hutchings4th.blogspot.com)
09 September 2011
We are going on our Lansing Field Trip Monday! Please make sure to arrive to school ON TIME! Bus is leaving promptly at 9:10am. Your student will need a sack lunch (everything disposable, please), they may bring a camera, but they are responsible for keeping track of it. Please dress for the weather and wear comfortable shoes. No money is needed...we will not have time to visit the gift shop.
If you have not given your child's teacher your email address, please do so as soon as possible. Thank you!
29 August 2011
18 August 2011
18 May 2011
- Hawaiian day this Friday!
- Unit 12 Math test this Friday for all 4th grade classes. Review sheets coming home today. Please be sure that they are here and complete for tomorrow's review.
- Spelling test 28 Monday, May 23rd.
- Wednesday, May 25th is the All Star Football Game at 2:00pm!
- No school on Monday, May 30th! This is Memorial Day!
- Field day is Tuesday, May 31st. This will be in the morning. We haven't been given specific times, yet.
- Thursday, June 2nd from 10:15-10:45am....Bradner, Burch, and Palo are having a parent thank you celebration. This is for classroom volunteers. Please RSVP to your child's teacher by Friday, May 27th if you will be attending.
- Friday, June 3rd is all 4th grade 50 State Test. They only need to know where to place the 50 states--they will receive a word bank. They do not need to know capitals.
- Tuesday, June 7th at 11:20 am, we are having a fourth grade spelling bee. 5 finalists from each class will be in the spelling bee. We will let you know who the children are by Friday, May 27th.
- 4th grade Karate lesson on Tuesday, June 7th in the afternoon. Please have kids dress comfortably.
- Talent show is on Wednesday, June 8th. Information is on the music blog (link on the Hutchings' website).
- End of the Year 4th grade picnic is on Friday, June 10th. We will be contacting parents that signed up at open house or your child's teacher will contact you. We will need people here to work and to volunteer bringing in items
- Last day of school is Friday, June 10th!
- Check the Howell website for summer programs, packets, and practice for summer!!!! We encourage children to read and practice their multiplication facts all summer. They may also complete unfinished math journal pages, spelling workbook pages, and unfinished stories in their writer's workshop notebooks.
06 May 2011
- We want to say goodbye and thank you to Mrs. Flotkoetter and welcome back to Mrs. Burch.
- Chaperones for Treasure Island Field Trip on Friday, May 13th. They are Burch: Mrs. Clark, Mr. Gabrys, Mrs. Mockvil, and Mrs. Lopo. Palo: Mrs. Pecuch, Mrs. Gillett, Mr. Wood, and Ms. Cirella. Highum: Mrs. Davis and Mrs. Zagata. Bradner: Mr. Bearer, Mr. Siep, Mrs. Smathers, and Mrs. Graham. Please meet us at Wild Swan Theatre in Ann Arbor. Or, meet us at school to follow the busses and/or to carpool. We will leave Hutchings at 8:55am and we will return at 12:00pm. Students will eat lunch at Hutchings as usual.
- Spelling test 26 is Monday, May 9th.
- Thank you to our wonderful PTO for a wonderful teacher appreciation week. We know so many of you donated and we are very thankful!
29 April 2011
**WEDNESDAY, JUNE 8
9:15am to 11:45am
This year, students may perform in 1 talent only. However, if their classroom teacher has organized a “class talent,” then they may have a second talent.
TALENT SHOW TRYOUTS
Tryouts will be held BEFORE AND AFTER SCHOOL ONLY from THURSDAY, MAY 12 through WEDNESDAY, MAY 18.
If your student is unable to tryout before or after school, they may tryout at recess with a signed note from home.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions.
**Other Fourth Grade Information:
~Unit 11 Math Test Friday, May 6th
~Field trip to see Treasure Island on Friday May 13th. Permission slips and donation were due today. Please send ASAP if you haven't already.
Have a great weekend!
21 April 2011
- No school tomorrow! Enjoy your three day weekend.
- Reminder--"African Cats" movie on Tuesday. Students need to be here by 9am. Parent chapereones, please meet us at MJR by 9:45am. Movie begins at 10:00am. No concession stand will be open.
- Spelling test on Monday.
- Highum/Flotkoetter Social Studies on Friday, April 29th. This is on Chapter 12 and 13 (West Region).
- "Treasure Island" Permission slips and money are due Friday, April 29th.
15 April 2011
- Report cards are coming home today. Please refer to your child's highlighted overall grade. We have also enclosed the parent MEAP information sheet. Please return your child's report card envelope on Monday, April 18th. Everything in the envelope is yours to keep.
- We almost have all of our "African Cats" permission slips and financial donations. Chaperones are Jennifer Bidwell and Wendy Turner (Palo), Mrs. Pasfield and Mrs. Kinder (Bradner), Mrs. Goza and Ms. Cavanaugh (Burch/Flotkoetter)m and Mrs. Stidham and Mrs. Bradley (Highum).
- Our final fourth grade field trip is "Treasure Island" on Friday, May 15th. These are coming home today. The permission slips and financial donations are due on Friday, April 29th. We are allowed to take 4 chaperones per class.
- Unit 10 Math test next Thursday, April 21st.
- Economics presentations on Wednesday, April 20th. All work is being done in class.
- There is no school on Friday, April 22nd. This is Good Friday.
23 March 2011
- No school tomorrow-March 24, 2011--Professional Development for teachers.
- Howell Spirit Day this Friday, March 25, 2011 for March is Reading Month!
- African Cats Permission slips due as soon as possible. We can only take two parents per classroom, so we will hold a lottery. We will take parents who have NOT yet attended a field trip first. Therefore, we may need to refund your money you sent in for yourself. Sorry! We'd really like to take everyone!
- Highum/Burch(Flotkoetter) has a West Map quiz on Tuesday, March 29th.
- Bradner/Palo have a Science test on Tuesday, March, 29th. Study guide will be handed out this Friday, March 25th.
- Unit 9 Math test is Wednesday, March 30th for ALL four classes. Study guides will be handed out on Monday, March 28th.
- Palo's class will receive box tops on Wednesday, March 30th for winning box tops and campbell's labels!
- Bradner's Hundred point party is Wednesday, March 30th--more info to come!
- Cranbrook Field trip is Thursday, March 31st! Students may bring cameras, but they will need to be responsible for them. Also, students may bring money, though we cannot guarantee we will have time to visit the gift shop. We will do our best:) Chaperones are driving themselves, please. You may meet us at school that morning at 9:00. We will supply you with a map and other details. Please remember to pack a lunch for yourself and make sure your child has a SACK lunch, please (disposable bags and items).
- 3rd Quarter ends April 1st!
- Spring Break is April 4th-April 8th.
- Highum/Burch(Flotkoetter) Science test will be after spring break.
11 March 2011
- Spring Forward this Sunday morning at 2am! Don't forget to move your clocks ahead an hour! :)
- Spring Pictures are Monday, March 14th. Wear your smile! :)
- READ! READ! READ! Every student is expected to turn in at least one slip by the end of the month!
- Spelling Test 20 is Monday.
- Math Test Unit 8 is Tuesday.
- Burch/Highum Social Studies test Thursday.
- Wear green on Thursday, March 17th! Bring any coins you can donate to the Michigan Arbor Day alliance. Coins will only be collected on the 17th.
- Friday, March 18th is our Camping Spirit Day and the 4th Grade Read-In. Students may bring a sleeping bag, plenty of reading material, and a snack for a fun afternoon of reading! Students will be able to count two hours towards their Reading Month slip after the Read-In.
- No School Thursday, March 24, for professional development.
- Cranbrook Field Trip is Thursday, March 31.
- End of third quarter is April 1.
- Spring Break - NO SCHOOL - April 4-8. :)
23 February 2011
- Math Unit 7 Test will be this Friday. Students will receive their review sheet today, and we will review during math tomorrow.
- Spelling Unit 18 test is today. We will not begin Unit 19 until next week.
Hope you enjoyed your Winter Break and Snow Day! :)
16 February 2011
- All 4th graders...Southwest Map Quiz Friday!
- We need regular full-size Hershey Bars for a math exploration next week. Any donations would be appreciated. Thanks!
- Please return the Cranbrook Field Trip Permission Slips and $20 donation as soon as possible.
- No School on Monday, February 21, due to Winter Break.
- Spelling Unit 18 test is Tuesday, February 22.
- Math Unit 7 Test is next Thursday, February 24.
- We are in need of Disinfecting Wipes and Kleenex for our classrooms. Thanks in advance for your donations!
- The raffle baskets were a great success! Thank you for all your donations! :)
09 February 2011
- Report Cards are coming home today. Please be sure to read the cover letters regarding the changes in the new format. It is important to focus on the overall grade.
Hutchings Carnival is Friday!! Thank you for all your basket donations! Hope to see you all there! :)
- Spelling Test 17 is Monday.
- No School Monday, February 21, for Winter Break.
Have a nice weekend! :)
27 January 2011
- There is NO SCHOOL tomorrow, Friday, January 27, due to a teacher work day.
- Students participated in a Pilot Math Mid-year Assessment yesterday. This assessment was created by a team of teachers for the purpose of creating a common assessment for all fourth graders across the district. Mrs. Sandra Moore wrote a letter giving more details on this process. You can access her letter via the link on the left side of the blog, or by clicking HERE. The grades from the Pilot test will NOT be submitted into PowerSchool. The data will be used to help the team of teachers tweak the Pilot test for future use.
- Spelling Test 16 is Monday, January 31.
- There is NO SCHOOL Thursday, February 4, due to Professional Development.
- Report cards for Quarter 2 will be sent home with students on Friday, February 4.
- Burch/Highum students have a Social Studies test on Chapters 8/9 Friday, February 4. Review sheets will go home early next week.
- The Hutchings Carnival is Friday, February 11. Information is going home today for advance purchase options. Our classrooms are putting together baskets to be raffled off that night. Themes are: Burch - Toy Story, Bradner - Winter Fun (Inside/Out), Palo - Games, Highum - Variety. Any donations would be greatly appreciated!
19 January 2011
- All classes have a unit 6 math test this Friday! Study guides were given today and will be reviewed tomorrow. Please be sure to bring back study guides tomorrow (Thursday).
- Palo/Bradner Science test next Tuesday, January 25, 2011.
- CARNIVAL BASKET DONATIONS being accepted!!! Bradner--Winter Fun Inside and Out, Burch--Toy Story, Highum--Variety, and Palo--Games. The carnival auction is the same night as the carnival, which is Friday, February 11th!
- End of the quarter 2 is Thursday, January 27th.
- There is no school on Friday. Januray 28th. This is a teacher work day.
12 January 2011
Stuffed Animal & PJ Day - 50 cent donation for Adopt-an-Animal project
Bradner/Palo Social Studies Chapter 8 Midwest Test (Study Guide coming home today.)
Monday, January 17: No School in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
Tuesday, January 18:
Burch/Highum Science Test (States of Matter)
Spelling Test 14
Friday, January 21: Unit 6 Math Test (review sheets come home Wednesday)
*School Carnival is February 11. All classrooms are collecting items for a raffle basket. The proceeds all go back to the classrooms. Any donations would be greatly appreciated and accepted through Feburary 7. Basket themes are as follows:
Bradner: Winter Fun Inside and Outside
Burch: Toy Story Basket
Highum: Variety Basket
*All of January...penny drive continues! :)
*No School for students on January 28 (teacher work day) and February 3 (professional development).
07 January 2011
Monday, January 10:
Spelling Test 13
Tuesday, January 11:
All 4th grade classes - Social Studies Midwest Map Quiz
Piston's Assembly 2:15pm
Rollerama Night 6:30-8:30pm
Friday, January 14:
Stuffed animal & PJ Day - 50 cent donation for Adopt-an-Animal project
Bradner/Palo Social Studies Chapter 8 Midwest Test (Study Guide coming home Weds.)
*All of January...penny drive continues! :)
*No School on Monday, January 17, in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
*Burch/Highum Science Test (States of Matter) on Tuesday, January 18.
*All classes...Unit 6 Math Test Friday, January 21.